Friday, October 15, 2010

Procrastination: I haz it

Yes, I know it has been a while. But as the title of today's blog suggests, I am not someone who is always on the ball. I think I earned this trait honestly... My dad has a tendancy to procrastinate. Actually, that whole side of my family does. I suppose that is why we're always late and generally present birthday gifts wrapped in Wal-Mart bags, but I digress.

I think procrastination is my worst enemy when it comes to writing. I think it's pretty clear given that it's taken me nearly 10 years to finish a novel (and heck, it's not totally finished, either). Sadly, I'm not one of those writers who can set writing goals for herself. I can't tell myself, "Caroline, you're going to write ten chapters this week." If I did, my writing would stink. I just can't write well when I'm not "into" it. But when I'm on, I'm on, baby! I barely stop to eat or sleep, I just write like there's no tomorrow.

I haven't been writing much lately. I blame the fact that I've been living out of a suitcase. And looking for another job. First it was commuting 100 miles one way to be with my hubby on the weekends, and then I took a trip to Texas (which was awesome). And finally, given the distance between the hubby and me, I've attempted to find a job in the same city as he. That's not going so well (damn economy). So to say that I have been distracted is an understatement. Plus it doesn't help that any writing I do is confined to my sad little cube at work due to my lack of a laptop at the moment. Oh please Santa Claus bring me one for Christmas! I've been good this year...for the most part!

So, does procrastination bring you down? Or can you put the blinders on and crank out a novel in a few months? If you can, will you pass some of that motivation on to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment