Thursday, May 31, 2012

Taking Time Out

How's it going?

Are you guys being busy writing beavers? I have been doing a little writing the last few weeks. I happily completed roughly twenty pages on "Rebellion" so yay! me.

I have been reading a lot lately, which has been a nice change of pace. It seemed like a year ago when I was deep into editing "Rebel Heart", I could barely read a book. There are definitely some drawbacks to being an author...especially one who is still learning some of the basics. Even though I've been at this since I was a young teenager, I've had to back track and take care of some of the "no-nos" of writing. But as I was learning, I was also applying to other author's novels. Oh geez... I couldn't get through a full book without wanting to throw it against the wall because they were breaking all the rules or the premise was not compelling. It was very strange to not read--I've been a voracious reader all my life. There's nothing better in life than racing through my to-do list just so I can sit down keep reading through a compelling piece of fiction. I've read five books in the last two months, so it looks like I've gotten my reading mo-jo back.

I've still got a "to be read" pile a mile long (friend me on Good Reads if you're there!) but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Here's what I'm reading (and hoping to read) right now:

Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor

This is a great book. Or rather I devoured it in college and I'm hoping that it will have the same effect on me now. Especially since it takes place during the Restoration--I call it research! It's about Amber St. Clare...a 17th century Scarlett O'Hara. She's a survivor, that's for sure! She wants her man and she'll stop at nothing to get him.
 

The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott

I've been wanting to read this since it came out in April. My local library finally got their copy and I've done my time on the hold list. It's about a personal maid to Lady Duff-Gordan who survives the Titanic. As you may or may not know, Lady Duff-Gordan designed ladies' lingerie (scandal!) and so I'm assuming the maid is somehow involved with that or becomes a dressmaker. I'm definitely looking forward to reading.


"The Gilded Lily" by Deborah Swift
Another Restoration era novel that I'm looking to run down. I think I might have to splurge and get it off of Amazon as my library doesn't have it. Boo! It's about two sisters who steal away to London and the ensuing struggle (because we all know what happens to girls when they go to London!)
 
So are you guys reading anything interesting or are you all being good and sticking to your writing?

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading in my genre, but like you I find my writer's brain to be mostly disatisfied (for that reason I'd rather not mention authors!). I actually just did a blog post on discovering I am a slow reader.

    But writing is definitely taking priority. I admire your determination in rewriting Rebel Heart... did you notice rebellion seems to be your theme? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rebellion! I think it's because I am not very rebellious in real life. :-)

      Delete