Friday, July 6, 2012

Whereupon I Dithered...and Then Changed My Mind

"Indecision may or may not be my problem."
Jimmy Buffet


So I have yet another announcement to make.

I just couldn't do it.

"Doing" it constitutes changing the entire MS of "Rebel Heart" into 1st person. I could have done. I started to, but in the end, it just didn't feel right. I passed the first few chapters onto one of my writing partners and after being told that she didn't mind the POV change, I started to waffle a bit. Then I went back to AbsoluteWrite and polled some more folks--the consensus was overwhelmingly "do what you think is best."

So my best is taking a stand (so to speak) and keeping the 1st and 3rd person layout of "Rebel Heart." Yes, this is an unusual style, but let's face it, I've never been a run-of-the-mill type of girl. And to highlight two very pertinent comments made on the forums--I'm self-publishing because I don't fit into the predetermined molds and I can't cater to everyone. At the end of the day, I have what I think is a great story with compelling characters. It's been vetted a bazillion times (OK, not that many...) by different beta readers and writing partners (who are, for the record, wholly unrelated to me by blood or friendship).

So by many standards, I do believe I am ready to go. And with that mind, I hope to have "Rebel Heart" available for sale by next Friday, July 13th. It's either going to be an auspicious or infamous day to publish! I have gone ahead and posted the first chapter as a freebie. It has it's own page up top, so check it out if you have a chance.

Finally, I want to take a moment to thank all of you, my humble and loyal readers, for bearing with me during my periodic regular mood fluctuations, moments of temporary insanity, and general wishy-washiness. I keep writing because of the feedback I get from you guys (and my betas/writing partners), so it is no small thing to me when you take the time to comment. Keep them coming and hold on tight--things are about to get interesting!

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! Best of luck with it, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I love the quote :) I think the most important thing is to come to a decision, stick with it--and make the book the best it can be! Ultimately that's the ticket, I think.

    Good luck! And Yay!

    ReplyDelete