Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My Ever Growing Historical Fiction Wish List

Hello dear and faithful readers!

I am busy working on some new reviews for you all, but I will admit that I have been felled by a recent spat of migraines. I've never had much of an issue with them before so this development is unfortunately requiring some medical intervention. The really sad part is that I am not overly anxious to be straining my eyes with reading. I'm about half way through "City of Jasmine" by Deanna Raybourn and a quarter of the way through "I Always Loved You" by Robin Oliveira, so I hope to finish both in due course. In the meantime I have been whiling the time away by re-watching Season One of "House of Cards" and then moving on to the newest season. I know some reviewers say it's affected with Kevin Spacey's breaking of the fourth wall, but I adore him. He really personifies callousness, unbridled ambition, and a sinister nature. In short--he's brilliant. Robin Wright is equally awesome as his calculated wife, Claire. Anyhoo, if you have haven't watched it, get Netflix and start watching. You won't be disappointed.

Now moving on, I always have a growing wish list of books I want to read, and I've luckily been able to put a dent in said list with the help of Netgalley. But I thought to share a few of my must reads for the coming months.

 
Girl on the Golden Coin by Marci Jefferson follows the riches to rags to riches life of impoverished noblewoman Lady Frances Stuart. She grows up in the court of Henrietta Maria, the deposed Queen of England but returns to England after the restoration of Charles II. Naturally she attracts the attention of the amorous king and must learn to survive in a court where power is everything and the king's mistress is truly queen. The novel is out now.


Fallen Beauty by Ericka Robuck follows three women, one of whom is the famous poet and openly bisexual Edna St. Vincent Millay. I adored Robuck's first novel Call Me Zelda so I'm definitely looking forward to reading this one. This novel releases on March 4th.


Inamorata by Megan Chance follows twin siblings Joseph and Sophie as they escape New York for Venice in hopes of finding a wealth patron for Joseph's budding art career. What they find is an infamous courtesan bent on luring Joseph into a tangled web of deceit and danger, and the man who had sworn to stop her. I really enjoyed Chance's An Inconvenient Wife when I read it a couple years ago and Inamorata sounds just as compelling. The novel releases July 8th.

Happy reading folks and stay tuned for an exciting announcement tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment